Thinking about downsizing to a single amp solution

Discussions by amplifier type.
honyock
Reactions:

I am strongly considering getting rid of a bunch of amps and replacing them with one thing, possibly a Kemper Profiler head and run it through some powered studio monitors also thinking about keeping my Line6 Duoverb 2x12 Modeler and just using it like a powered speaker since it is so well built.

I've got a weird collection and I want to consolidate/simplify.

- Fender SCX2 and an early 90s Fender GE-112 cab (basically the same thing as a modern SCX2 cabinet it looks like)
- Fender Sidekick 65 Bass, 1x15 solid state combo
- Blackstar ID-60 TVP, 1x12 modeler combo
- Marshall AVT20, 1x10 hybrid combo
- Vox MV-50 "nu-tube" hybrid w/ matching Vox, 1x8 cab
- Line6 Duoverb modeler, 2x12 combo
- Monoprice SB20 50w 6L6gc tube head w/ Monoprice 1x12 cabinet.

I like them all for different reasons, I try to play them all here and there, but the modelers get the most play time hands down, so I am thinking an even better modeler would just be the best final answer instead of bouncing from one to another, I could just focus on one setup get rid of the various software packages/foot switches/etc.

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

10 years, 2 months, and 8 days of blissful ignorance ruined by that snake in the grass Major Tom.
golem
Reactions:

I think Kemper, AxeFx, and Line 6's Helix are all impressive. I only have the Helix because I got a killer deal on an LT with a broken expression pedal (built in). Since I knew they would fix that issue for free without even being registered, I sent it in and got a refurbished one back immediately. When I saw the full version on sale at GC as a clearance demo, I couldn't pass it up and sold the LT. Helix is pretty damn good. The pedals on there might actually be the best of all.
mickey
Reactions:

I certainly can't fault your logic. The problem for most of us is that we get emotionally attached to our gear multiplying the difficulty of divesting ourselves of surplus.
Gandalf the Intonationer
jtcnj
Reactions:

mickey wrote: Thu Nov 03, 2022 10:58 am I certainly can't fault your logic. The problem for most of us is that we get emotionally attached to our gear multiplying the difficulty of divesting ourselves of surplus.
Exactly.
Where is the fun in a logical and objective approach to something so emotionally charged as guitar gear?
Crazy talk I say.

No agonizing over justifying those impulse or possibly alcohol fueled GAS purchases?
Balderdash!!!

And making such a rational and reasonable statement on a ........ Guitar and Gear Support Forum?
Have you GONE MAD, mate?,,, Nate?

On the other hand, to paraphrase Bruce Lee..... keep what is useful, discard the rest.
Old AGF since Feb. 2015; refugee of the Great MOMO Purge of May 2020.
honyock
Reactions:

I almost pulled the trigger on a Kemper from Thomann since they are several hundred cheaper and would only be about $40 to ship. The only thing that stopped me is not knowing how the duty tax would hit me. I couldn't find anything other than hearsay type stuff about >$800 would be hit with whatever duty rate is currently. Still would likely be as much as $500 cheaper than buying from the US. Then I saw a Kemper rack mount version for sale on Craigslist and then my mind started wondering about a rack mount power amp and then I decided to just go to bed...
10 years, 2 months, and 8 days of blissful ignorance ruined by that snake in the grass Major Tom.
Rollin Hand
Reactions:

Even the cheap modelers are good nowadays. I went HX Stomp XL because of sound quality/form factor/price ratio. Now, to be blunt, I wish I had gone for a used Helix LT for only a bit more to get the extra capability. Dual rigs seems like it would be fun.
"I'm not a sore loser. It's just that I prefer to win, and when I don't, I get furious."
- Ron Swanson
bleys21
Reactions:

I've got a Kemper (unpowered) and so does Enrique(Narsh). The one thing the Kemper does really well is amps. In my case, it does so simply: I pull up an amp, and start playing. I don't care for tweaking settings, I just want to play. I also like the fact that there are over 20,000 amps in Rig Manager for free, so I can try different stuff.

One possibility you could do, if you can swing it, would be to get a Kemper first, profile all of your amps however you like them to sound, then sell all your amps, and then you still have them in the Kemper.
Rollin Hand
Reactions:

Another thing I should add: i thought HARD about a Headrush MX5. I really like the sounds from my Eleven Rack, and I could have imported them all over.
"I'm not a sore loser. It's just that I prefer to win, and when I don't, I get furious."
- Ron Swanson
Tonray's Ghost
Reactions:

I wholheartedly agree a single, simple solution is best. Whilst I have a very cheapo setup (Mooer mini amp with Valleton Mutifunction pedal), I find that configuring a handful of patches for the tones I like allows me to grab a guitar (off the wall) and play immediately. I do sometimes 'jones' for a vintage bedroom amp but the tone I can get from my mini solution allows me much more time for playing and enjoying guitar than fiddling around.
honyock
Reactions:

Then again. I fired up that 50w Monoprice and damn does that thing sound great...when no one is home to complain that is.

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

littlebadboy
Reactions:

Go for it! Plus FRFR cab too, and you will be happy!

Mine is a Headrush Gigboard into FRFR cabs. It goes into my studio monitors when just playing at home or making some projects on the laptop.

I can't afford a Kemper.
BatUtilityBelt
Reactions:

Some of the modelling is astonishingly good, and at the same time makes it much easier to dial in a sound you're chasing. I think anyone going down this route today has picked a great time to do so.

Having said that, I will continue to split my time between models and physical gear no matter how good models get, and here's why. Long before making guitar my main instrument, I was a keyboard guy - intensely keyboard oriented. It was no big deal to drop thousands on yet another good sounding instrument (most of which were actually rack gear without a keyboard). When they had a keyboard, that was an interface. Otherwise, like modelling amps, they were basically specialized PCs. The long-term takeaway for a keyboard player is that once a manufacturer is done supporting what you already have, you are left with an expensive vaporware product just waiting for something unsupported to break and render it completely valueless. I see modelling amps the same way... on their way to becoming obsolete so their manufacturers can generate more income on something else.

So when I'm making plenty of money on music, I'll spend it on the convenience, but if I'm just in it for enjoyment, I won't. Because every amp that predates modelling can be repaired indefinitely, that's where I draw the line.
golem
Reactions:

BatUtilityBelt wrote: Sat Nov 05, 2022 3:23 pm The long-term takeaway for a keyboard player is that once a manufacturer is done supporting what you already have, you are left with an expensive vaporware product just waiting for something unsupported to break and render it completely valueless.
Yup. Pretty much said the same thing to @andrewsrea.
Rollin Hand
Reactions:

Well, wrt the vaporware issue, you can limit exposure by buying used (less depreciation) or by buying a cheaper unit like the latest Nux. It makes a big difference when you only lose $200 on a modeler vs. $2000.

By the same token, the Kemper has been around for 10 years and is still supported, and still sells used for a significant portion of the new price.

My 11 Rack was fine intil the Windows 11 upgrade happened. Now the editor doesn't work.
- Ron Swanson
peskypesky
Reactions:

I only have two amps, a Peavey Classic 30 (which I love) and a Vox AC4TV8 (which I don't)....but since I will soon be moving into an apartment, I probably need to get something quieter than the Peavey, and with a headphone jack.
There's a Fender Champion 40 at nearby Guitar Center for $139. Might go check it out later today.
Banned by Momo
golem
Reactions:

Rollin Hand wrote: Sat Nov 05, 2022 7:55 pm Well, wrt the vaporware issue, you can limit exposure by buying used (less depreciation)
That's the route I went. I'm admittedly a little confused about precisely how much money I have into mine as a result, but it might be 1/3rd of what it should cost retail. I assume they'll be a drop in Helix prices if/when they make a successor line.
Rollin Hand
Reactions:

That's always the risk. They just did a pretty big update (new amps, cabs, IRs etc.) which makes the rig better (I hope) and indicates that perhaps they aren't done with it yet.
- Ron Swanson
bleys21
Reactions:

This. I'm amazed that Kemper hasn't: a) released a replaced model, and/or b) stopped updating the Kemper. But fact remains that Kemper upgrades their equipment every year for free, and they do significant upgrades. A few years back, they upgraded all the distortion pedals. Last year, it was the delay pedals. And these were huge improvements, like night and day compared to the old ones. So yeah, the Kemper was expensive, but its super simple, they still support it, and they continue to upgrade it for free with new features, so I feel like my investment in their platform has been worth it, compared to say, Line 6 or Fractal, who release new products and don't update the old ones...
Rollin Hand wrote: Sat Nov 05, 2022 7:55 pm By the same token, the Kemper has been around for 10 years and is still supported, and still sells used for a significant portion of the new price.
golem
Reactions:

Indeed @bleys21. Helix just had a big 3.5 update. They've been supporting the Helix platform for a long time. I will say that I saw a post somewhere that repair parts for the Helix are hard to get right now. Someone had their HX effects (part of the same line) break and they can't get a new motherboard to fix it. From what I gather it's more of a supply chain type issue than Line 6 making it difficult intentionally. Which, given all the issues with supply chain during COVID, is probably the case.
bleys21
Reactions:

That's awesome that Line6 is still updating. They haven't always done that. And I get it, the company doesn't make any money giving away updates. But its still a pretty sweet perk when you buy something and get free updates 10 years later.
Mr. Leyvatone
Reactions:
Gearlist: 5 Agiles, 5 SX, assorted other guitars and gear.

Do it. Keep the Monoprice though. That way, when you get the “I’ve done it all wrong” feeling again in the future you can simply play through a tube amp and not spend $4k on a Mesa, or whatever.
honyock
Reactions:

Yeah, that one is probably not worth selling and with the level control on each channel it does surprisingly well in a bedroom where other tube amps I've owned failed miserably.

I just found some very interesting videos on the Mooer GE300 and GE300 Lite. Seems like a really high featured modeler with not so great software execution. Seems like dang near every modern modeler has so much computing power it is hard to go wrong other than lack of support being a possible downfall.
Tiga
Reactions:

peskypesky wrote: Sun Nov 06, 2022 11:39 am I only have two amps, a Peavey Classic 30 (which I love) and a Vox AC4TV8 (which I don't)....but since I will soon be moving into an apartment, I probably need to get something quieter than the Peavey, and with a headphone jack.
There's a Fender Champion 40 at nearby Guitar Center for $139. Might go check it out later today.
I was looking at the Champion amps myself - wondering how they sound. Were you able to check any out?
andrewsrea
Reactions:
Gearlist: 28 Guitars: (2) basses, (2) acoustics, (3) hollow bodies, (3) Semi hollow, (1) Double-neck, (17) Solid-bodies

I cannot utter the words 'downsizing'. Every time I do, something ends up being traded to me for bench work.
Live life to the fullest! - Rob
tlarson58
Reactions:
Gearlist: A tele, a bass and a bunch of other stuff.

I have the Quilter Superblock US. It does "The Thing" pretty nicely and has a dedicated XLR out. I'm using it this morning with headphones to practice, in fact. I originally purchased the UK version but the amps sounded all the same (supposed to be a VOX and two Marshalls)

P.S. I have no idea how to use the MXR Carbon Copy both with this simple set-up and with my Princeton Reverb. There are great tones in there, for sure but I can't find them. Definitely no slapback.

Check out the retro radio I found at a pawn shop last year.

R0011310.JPG
Tommy Larson
Steamboat Springs, CO