Supro Blues King 12"

Discussions by amplifier type.
Spike
Reactions:

I have been itching to buy a small combo amp lately and ran across a Supro Blues King 12" for what looks like a pretty decent price.

Do any of my fellow AGF'rs had any experience with this particular amp?
To give anything less than your best, is to sacrifice the gift
Steve Prefontaine
toomanycats
Reactions:

I've played one. Great looking amp, but it personally wasn't my cup of tea. It felt too stiff and the FET overdrive sounded like, well, solid state overdrive. In my mind that kinda defeats the purpose of having a low watt tube amp to begin with, which is to get overdrive from tubes being pushed at a reasonable volume. But definitely give it a shot for yourself, as it may suit your needs. I just personally like more sponginess and sag in a tube amp.

Now the Supro Black Magick, that thing is a friggin' monster. I kid you not, it's Led Zeppelin 1 in a box. It is that exact sound. I spent a considerable amount of time one afternoon in a guitar shop playing a used one and still kick myself for not buying it.
“There are only two means of refuge from the miseries of life: Music and Cats!” Albert Schweitzer
Spike
Reactions:

I appreciate the input TMC. Makes sense. Maybe I’ll make a trip to the music store and try both.
Thanks.
Steve Prefontaine
aullucci
Reactions:

I also did not love the Blues King. It looks so killer. I really wanted to love it. The cleans were fine but the drive was not great. I only spent maybe 20 minutes with it in a store with none of my own stuff to play with, but I was pretty uninspired...
Spike
Reactions:

2 out of 2 negative reviews. 3 makes a trend?
Steve Prefontaine
aullucci
Reactions:

I noticed a week or two ago they went on a crazy sale for like $250 or some stupid cheap price. I was tempted. But honestly, I kinda just wanted to buy it to rip the guts out and use that sweet looking bag to rehouse something else. That doesn't speak highly of the amp...