5150 Iconic

Discussions by amplifier type.
Rollin Hand
Reactions:

So, it looks like EVH Gear are putting out a more budget-friendly amp.

https://www.guitarworld.com/news/evh-5150-iconic

MDF cabs, two preamp tubes (as opposed to 5 in the 5150 and 6 in the 5150IIIs), made in China.

That said, to help develop these amps, they hire none otger than the hardest working man in the amp business, the Godfather of Soul and Hot Tub Man Number One, James Brown!
images-1.jpeg
images-1.jpeg (16.24 KiB) Viewed 866 times
...er, actually the guy on the right.
Eddie-Van-Halen-and-James-Brown.png
Lots of conjecture online, like whether the lack of tubes in the preamp makes it more of a hybrid, why 40/80 watts, etc. The proof will be in the sound, because "if it sounds good it is good."
"I'm not a sore loser. It's just that I prefer to win, and when I don't, I get furious."
- Ron Swanson
caustic69
Reactions:

I totally agree with you last statement...so much buzz about the amp and seemingly much of it negative because of the tube compliment, where it is made, the cost etc. I kinda don't think James Brown would be so involved and have his name associated nor would Wolf risk his father's good name on crappy amp that is just a cash grab. so I'll reserve judgement until we have the chance to hear it and if it sounds good, it is good.
solarpimp
Reactions:

More and more these days, where the shop is has a lot less to do with success and who is running the shop dictates success. I have Orange Rocker 15 and 32, OR15, and the Crush 120 head, all MIC and a PRS Sonzera 20 MIC and all are fantastic amps. I also believe that my Fender Dual Reverb Tonemaster is Chinese made, and again, great relaiable product. The likelihood is that if Fender is making it, it'll be made right and while it may not be as versatile as other models, what it does, it will do well.
solarpimp
Reactions:

I just read the link and I'm guessing that like the Gen 1 EVH LBX, there won't be much (any) headroom, but various degrees of dirt and distortion to do anything that doesn't require clean. After looking at images of the combo, it looks as if the head portion of the combo can be "unplugged" from the speaker and used to power a 212 or 412 if desired.
Rollin Hand
Reactions:

Just saw the price at Long and Mcquade: $1050 Cdn for the combo, $1200 for the head. Both of which are nuts, given the feature set, materials, etc.make the head $1050, and the combo $899, and I think it'll do well.

Of course, if this thing sounds like the end of freakin' world, I'll eat my words.
"I'm not a sore loser. It's just that I prefer to win, and when I don't, I get furious."
- Ron Swanson