Axe FX 2 vs 3 Preset Shootout

Discussions by amplifier type.
RockYoWorld
Reactions:

Oh boy, guys... If you saw my other thread, I recently purchased the Axe FX 3. Over the years, I got my patches on the Axe FX 2 XL+ to be very satisfying for me. Of course, I wanted a box with more power and possibilities, so I just got the 3. I didn't realize how big of a difference sound-wise it would be.

When I upgraded from my AX8 to my Axe FX II, I was able to import my presets using FracTool and keep working on them with the new box. When I did that from the 2 to the 3, I got much different results. It's obvious they run on different engines.

I'm not saying one is better than the other, but I have become used to "MY" tone. I think the Axe FX 3 naturally slides to a type of tone that is more "amp in the room" sounding than the over produced version I've created on the 2.

I wanted to make a quick sound clip comparing my main Axe FX 2 patch with the one I'm trying to imitate on the Axe FX 3. Of course, they're very different. I'm curious if you guys can tell which one is which system and which one you like better. I feel like they actually sound better by themselves. When they're put side by side, you notice where the other lacks quite a bit.

If I had something witty to say, I'd put it here.
ID10t
Reactions:

well you asked for opinions, I have those.
I listened a few times and I understand what you mean about them sounding better by themselves versus A/B'ed. I like A better on every riff, hands down except on "The Hell Song" I thought B sounded better for that song (I don't know what that says about me). "A" sounds like an amp and an overdrive and compressor dialed in, "B" sounded like an amp and every pedal.
Based on that and your description, I'm guessing that you recorded these out of numerical order and I like the FX III.
Remember please that my ears are not champagne, they're more Schlitz. I'd be entertained by either system you bring to the gig.
aullucci
Reactions:

They both sounded good. I actually preferred B, it sounded more present. But both were very usable UMO
RockYoWorld
Reactions:

ID10t wrote: Sat Jun 05, 2021 1:27 am well you asked for opinions, I have those.
I listened a few times and I understand what you mean about them sounding better by themselves versus A/B'ed. I like A better on every riff, hands down except on "The Hell Song" I thought B sounded better for that song (I don't know what that says about me). "A" sounds like an amp and an overdrive and compressor dialed in, "B" sounded like an amp and every pedal.
Based on that and your description, I'm guessing that you recorded these out of numerical order and I like the FX III.
Remember please that my ears are not champagne, they're more Schlitz. I'd be entertained by either system you bring to the gig.
aullucci wrote: Sat Jun 05, 2021 9:04 am They both sounded good. I actually preferred B, it sounded more present. But both were very usable UMO
Thanks, guys, that's what I was looking for. The first one is the Axe FX 3. And it is the same patch from the 2 but tweaked a bit. Same amount of effects running, though. The way the amps and the the IRs sound on the two systems are very different. I think I ended up using a different IR on the Axe FX 3 patch because the one I used on the two sounded too "whoooosh"-y.

Overall, now I'm not satisfied with the sound from either system, lol. WHY DO I DO THIS TO MYSELF?
image.png
image.png
aullucci
Reactions:

RockYoWorld wrote: Sat Jun 05, 2021 12:53 pm
Overall, now I'm not satisfied with the sound from either system, lol. WHY DO I DO THIS TO MYSELF?
I understand this 100%
RockYoWorld
Reactions:

It's okay guys. You can sleep now. I spent 8 hours straight working on a master preset and I'm really happy with how it turned out. Sounds good playing along tracks I like, which is usually a good indicator.

The only thing is that my favorite guitar to play sounds the worst on it. It's actually the guitar in the recording. I had been contemplating replacing the Fishman Fluence Moderns I have in it with SD JB+Jazz that I had taken out of another guitar. This is now a real possibility, but I'm gonna give it a month or so.

Of course, I recognize the real possibility that when I wake up and pick up the guitar, I'll be distraught by the "terrible tone."