What is best deal on a cabinet right now

Discussions by amplifier type.
honyock
Reactions:

Looking for something that would pair well with my newly purchased Fender SCX2 head. For now I have my modified Monoprice 15w combo that I have the ability to use as a cabinet, or I can plug into my wee Vox MV series cabinet.

I've got a small 10" Jensen that I could build a cabinet for, or a pair of Celestion Seventy-80s that I could build a 1x12 or even a 2x12 for.

I would prefer to just buy something cheap, but nice looking if anyone has a line on a smoking deal.
10 years, 2 months, and 8 days of blissful ignorance ruined by that snake in the grass Major Tom.
Chad
Reactions:

I would have said the harley benton 2x12 cabs, but they raised the shipping prices... no longer such a great deal.
LancerTheGreat
Reactions:
Gearlist: -Guitars-
Gibson Dave Mustaine Flying V EXP
ESP LTD DV8R Dave Mustaine Signature Model
ESP LTD V401DX
Agile AL3100
Kit Explorer
Jackson JS32RR
TWANG Tele
Samick Strat
Firefly Semi-Hollow Tele
Globe Dove Copy

-Amps-
Orange OR-15 (Head)
EVH 112 (Cabinet)
Bugera 1960 Infinium (Head)
Bugera 412 (Cabinet)
Peavey VTX Classic 212 (Combo)
Laney Mini-ST Lionheart Practice Amp

I dunno if anything's changed but you used to be able to get some decent deals on https://wgsusa.com/
~Formerly LookingDownTheCross~
Gear_Junky
Reactions:

I'm just signing up to watch... I have an SCXD combo. I use it as a "head" by running my Epi Triggerman 4x12 cab that I bought on occasion, it sounds great. I was trying to buy a 2x12 at the time, but that's what I came across. I'd still figure a 2x12 is the best of both worlds (combo/stack).
Flatline
Reactions:

I picked up the monoprice 1x12 with a Vintage 30. It was on sale and cheaper than the speaker alone.
honyock
Reactions:

LancerTheGreat wrote:I dunno if anything's changed but you used to be able to get some decent deals on https://wgsusa.com/
I've got a WGS G12C/S in my Monoprice combo, it is definitely more Fender voiced, so it likely would be a great match for it.

https://wgsusa.com/g12cs
10 years, 2 months, and 8 days of blissful ignorance ruined by that snake in the grass Major Tom.
Partscaster
Reactions:

Seismic is a good inexpensive cabinet maker on Amazon.
Worth looking at anyways.
"The man that hath no music in himself, nor is not moved with concord of sweet sounds, is fit for treasons, stratagems, and spoils. The motions of his spirit are dull as night, and his affections dark as Erebus. Let no such man be trusted."
MattFireblade
Reactions:

Partscaster wrote: Thu Sep 10, 2020 7:43 am Seismic is a good inexpensive cabinet maker on Amazon.
Worth looking at anyways.
Yep, I was going to say, if you already have speakers, Seismic is a great choice.
andrewsrea
Reactions:
Gearlist: 28 Guitars: (2) basses, (2) acoustics, (3) hollow bodies, (3) Semi hollow, (1) Double-neck, (17) Solid-bodies

Good advice. I'd also throw in to check your local Facebook Marketplace and Criagslist. There seems to be a glut of 2x12 and 4x12s at a fraction of the price they went for new. Since they are so big and bulky and no longer popular with venues, the supply is a bit high and demand, a bit
low.
Live life to the fullest! - Rob
honyock
Reactions:

andrewsrea wrote:Good advice. I'd also throw in to check your local Facebook Marketplace and Criagslist. There seems to be a glut of 2x12 and 4x12s at a fraction of the price they went for new. Since they are so big and bulky and no longer popular with venues, the supply is a bit high and demand, a bit
low.
wish dreamers here knew that...
honyock
Reactions:

I did try it through the little Vox MV cabinet and it holds up just as well as it does to the MV50 cranking put 25w, could just be that it ends up basically aimed at your face once stacked upon the Peavey 112 bass amp and Fender SCx2.

I will probably try it through the cheapo Monoprice combo speaker since that would be a worst case cabinet I think. I do have a 1x12 baffle in 1/2" or maybe 3/4" birch ply and I still have the pieces for the cabinet exterior I tried making. I did a rather poor job putting it together previously and would probably be better off building a new one. Also I don't think the cheap 1x12 white board is the best cabinet making material, though it is pretty lightweight.
fatjack
Reactions:

I'd say seismic or another from ebay seems ok. https://www.ebay.com/itm/2X12-Vertical- ... 1438.l2649 I keep looking at this one but he has singles too and different colors.
Partscaster
Reactions:

I tend to like the approximate 1/2 inch thick ply construction cabinets vs 3/4inch. I am guessing that is because I dont use 50-100watt tube amps, but less than 30 usually. The 3/4" Jenkins 212 I used to have sounded less lively for my smaller amp sizes. I also prefer a larger sized cabinet vs the the smaller boxy options.
"The man that hath no music in himself, nor is not moved with concord of sweet sounds, is fit for treasons, stratagems, and spoils. The motions of his spirit are dull as night, and his affections dark as Erebus. Let no such man be trusted."
Razzle
Reactions:
Gearlist: 2010 AL-2000 Goldtop Floyd
2013 AL-3200 Purple Quilt Floyd semi-custom
2017 AL-3100mcc Lemonburst Quilt Floyd

I’ve been in the lookout for some cabinets covered in purple tolex. There’s a few out there but they’re pretty pricey.
Gear_Junky
Reactions:

Razzle wrote: Thu Sep 10, 2020 9:05 pm I’ve been in the lookout for some cabinets covered in purple tolex. There’s a few out there but they’re pretty pricey.
When I was in that phase when I wanted amp/cab of certain color I spray-painted a combo I had in orange color. It's gone, so I can't share pics, but it came out pretty decent. If it's covered in a smoother material like tolex, a nice spray paint like Krylon (designed to adhere to various plastics and polymers) will work nicely. Just don't spray the grille and the innards :) And obviously don't spray-paint carpet covered cabs :)