NGD: KRAMER BARETTA SPECIAL in RUBY RED (BLUE BARETTA ARRIVED TOO)

toomanycats
Reactions:

Today I noticed that the red Baretta Special was back in stock at Sweetwater and I just couldn't resist.

It is the Kramer model I wanted originally, but they they kept selling out. In the interim I happened to pick up a used teal Kramer Focus VT-211S at a pawn shop . . . .

https://www.aguitarforum.net/viewtopic. ... cus#p45138

. . . and then a new Pacer Classic in scarlet red metallic at Guitar Center . . .

https://www.aguitarforum.net/viewtopic. ... sic#p49931

@Rollin Hand did pretty good with his Beretta, so I'm hoping for the same luck. I noticed that his purple Baretta is made in Indonesia, which is apparently preferable to China when it comes to the Baretta Special (reports of a thinner neck, better fretwork, lighter body, etc.). I have also read that only the white model Baretta Special is made in China. I'm also taking into consideration the fact that my Pacer Classic is made in China and I like it just fine. I'll report back when the guitar arrives.

cfca13-KPBSRUCT.jpg
“There are only two means of refuge from the miseries of life: Music and Cats!” Albert Schweitzer
Rollin Hand
Reactions:

If it's a new one, it'll have a maple body, and will ring like crazy. Mine has presence even acoustically. The wildest part to me is that now that I sort of have it set up, it stays in tune better than I expected, though the g-string still binds (ouchies!). I might put the Tusq XL nut on this weekend.

For what they charge for these, it is really, really hard to go wrong. In fact, damn near impossible.
"I'm not a sore loser. It's just that I prefer to win, and when I don't, I get furious."
- Ron Swanson
tobijohn
Reactions:

Rollin Hand wrote: Fri Nov 03, 2023 6:50 pm ...The wildest part to me is that now that I sort of have it set up, it stays in tune better than I expected, though the g-string still binds (ouchies!). I might put the Tusq XL nut on this weekend....
A possible short-term solution might be something I use. I mix up some graphite powder with a little pool pump lubricant and sparingly apply it to the nut and bridge with a toothpick and dab off the excess with tissue paper. There's no silicone or petroleum derivatives involved so no chance of contamination:

www.amazon.com/Aladdin-Magic-Teflon-Lub ... B006H3XBAU

www.amazon.com/The-Hillman-Group-Graphi ... 472&sr=8-1

The contents of the two will be enough for several generations of Hands
Delightful mix of insolence, arrogance and narcissism
Republican moderate trapped in a heavy metal chassis
Growing up, only kid in the neighborhood with an Uncle Ahkbar
Rollin Hand
Reactions:

tobijohn wrote: Fri Nov 03, 2023 7:18 pm
Rollin Hand wrote: Fri Nov 03, 2023 6:50 pm ...The wildest part to me is that now that I sort of have it set up, it stays in tune better than I expected, though the g-string still binds (ouchies!). I might put the Tusq XL nut on this weekend....
A possible short-term solution might be something I use. I mix up some graphite powder with a little pool pump lubricant and sparingly apply it to the nut and bridge with a toothpick and dab off the excess with tissue paper. There's no silicone or petroleum derivatives involved so no chance of contamination:

www.amazon.com/Aladdin-Magic-Teflon-Lub ... B006H3XBAU

www.amazon.com/The-Hillman-Group-Graphi ... 472&sr=8-1

The contents of the two will be enough for several generations of Hands
Nothing like well-lubed Hands...

Pencil lead works as well, and even the Tusq XL nut apparently doesn't solve the problem if one intends to whammy. I'm not sure that I will put a Floyd on this though, so whammying might not happen.
"I'm not a sore loser. It's just that I prefer to win, and when I don't, I get furious."
- Ron Swanson
tobijohn
Reactions:

Rollin Hand wrote: Fri Nov 03, 2023 7:51 pm
Pencil lead works as well, and even the Tusq XL nut apparently doesn't solve the problem if one intends to whammy.
I can't speak to its effectiveness on Floyd Rose guitars, but I'll find out as soon as I put some strings on an AL-2500 that came with one. A roller nut might be an interesting solution.

www.amazon.com/43mm-Guitar-Brass-Nut-Re ... 180&sr=8-3

This one might be more appropriate for that guitar:

www.amazon.com/Holmer-String-Guitar-sad ... r=8-1&th=1

I used to use a pencil with the wood shaved down from the lead, but I found I could get better and neater distribution mixing the two. I had the graphite powder laying around from fixing a sticking front door lock and the Magic Lube from my old pool service business. After always getting most of the pencil lead on everything but the nut, the light bulb finally went on...
tobijohn
Reactions:

OTOH, roller nuts apparently aren't without issues. It figures, nothing is ever easy:

https://www.mylespaul.com/threads/roller-nuts.476823/
toomanycats
Reactions:

tobijohn wrote: Fri Nov 03, 2023 8:23 pm
Pencil lead works as well, and even the Tusq XL nut apparently doesn't solve the problem if one intends to whammy.
I can't speak to its effectiveness on Floyd Rose guitars, but I'll find out as soon as I put some strings on an AL-2500 that came with one. A roller nut might be an interesting solution.

I used to use a pencil with the wood shaved down from the lead, but I found I could get better and neater distribution mixing the two. I had the graphite powder laying around from fixing a sticking front door lock and the Magic Lube from my old pool service business. After always getting most of the pencil lead on everything but the nut, the light bulb finally went on...
I took the lube idea from @tobijohn years ago when he wrote about it, except I mix the very fine pencil lead shavings with a dollop of vaseline. When mixed it produces a grayish hued goop that is much easier to adhere to the nut slots than powdered graphite alone. It makes a significant difference in tuning stability. Even when I'm not using a whammy I tend to do a lot of wide bends, which pull the strings back and forth though the slots. If the slots are binding the guitar will go out of tune in short time. I know that there's commercial versions of my "grey goop," but why pay for something I can easily make for free with materials that are already around the house?
“There are only two means of refuge from the miseries of life: Music and Cats!” Albert Schweitzer
Rollin Hand
Reactions:

toomanycats wrote: Sat Nov 04, 2023 6:10 am
tobijohn wrote: Fri Nov 03, 2023 8:23 pm

I took the lube idea from @tobijohn years ago when he wrote about it, except I mix the very fine pencil lead shavings with a dollop of vaseline. When mixed it produces a grayish hued goop that is much easier to adhere to the nut slots than powdered graphite alone. It makes a significant difference in tuning stability. Even when I'm not using a whammy I tend to do a lot of wide bends, which pull the strings back and forth though the slots. If the slots are binding the guitar will go out of tune in short time. I know that there's commercial versions of my "grey goop," but why pay for something I can easily make for free with materials that are already around the house?
Sound like my trem knife edge lube. Chap Stick works well, but if you melt it and stir in a bunch of Teflon, it works better.
- Ron Swanson
tobijohn
Reactions:

Rollin Hand wrote: Sat Nov 04, 2023 7:00 pm
Sound like my trem knife edge lube. Chap Stick works well, but if you melt it and stir in a bunch of Teflon, it works better.
The Magic Lube I mentioned above has Teflon in it. I used it as a medium to hold the graphite, but it might work just as well by itself...
Rollin Hand
Reactions:

tobijohn wrote: Sat Nov 04, 2023 7:21 pm
Rollin Hand wrote: Sat Nov 04, 2023 7:00 pm
The Magic Lube I mentioned above has Teflon in it. I used it as a medium to hold the graphite, but it might work just as well by itself...
The graphite probably isn't hurting it.

Thinking about roller nuts, I wouldn't be surprised if they would only work in a straight pull headstock. The Kramer has a tilted hockey stick headstock so positional stability might be impacted.

I am too classy to talk about lubing AND rolling nuts though. Way too classy.
- Ron Swanson
toomanycats
Reactions:

The zero dollar mods I keep reading about for the Kramer Baretta Special are:

* Cut the polyester capacitor off the volume pot (though some do recommend replacement with a 1 meg pot).
* Remove the middle tremolo spring and adjust the claw so that the bridge remains decked even when strings are bent.
* Lube the nut.
* Lower the pickup down to about the level of pickup ring.
* Tighten tuner hardware snuggly.
Rollin Hand
Reactions:

I cut the cap, and it made little difference for me. Perhaps an audio taper pot....

As for the pickup, I can see it working better lower. This guitar is bright, and sometimes it seems as though the frequencies are fighting each other.

I have also pondered switching to a flat pickup ring. I'll never understand why they are all slanted when strings are often parallel to the body.

I hope to get to the Tusq XL nut this weekend, but it's my daughter's birthday party today, so I'll be busy.
- Ron Swanson
toomanycats
Reactions:

Rollin Hand wrote: Sun Nov 05, 2023 10:57 am
I have also pondered switching to a flat pickup ring. I'll never understand why they are all slanted when strings are often parallel to the body.

Good question. While we're pondering that and waiting for my Baretta to arrive we can also kill time trying to figure out the whacky pickup placement on this guitar:

Super-Strat.jpg
bc rich
Reactions:

toomanycats wrote: Sun Nov 05, 2023 3:06 pm
Rollin Hand wrote: Sun Nov 05, 2023 10:57 am

Good question. While we're pondering that and waiting for my Baretta to arrive we can also kill time trying to figure out the whacky pickup placement on this guitar:

Super-Strat.jpg
Could be the Classic Tweeker Mod
tobijohn
Reactions:

It seems to be missing a mini-humbucker between the bridge and middle pickups...
toomanycats
Reactions:

tobijohn wrote: Sun Nov 05, 2023 5:52 pm
It seems to be missing a mini-humbucker between the bridge and middle pickups...
Yeah, and then we'd have to add a few more mini toggle switches.
toomanycats
Reactions:

IT'S HERE!!!!

How much do I like this Indonesian made Kramer Baretta Special? Within an hour of it arriving I got on the phone with Sweetwater and ordered another one in metallic blue (I even managed to get myself a small discount).

This Baretta is light, tight, well put together, and plays effortlessly. There is zero fight in this guitar. It wants you, is practically begging you, to shred on it. This guitar may exist for no other reason than to pose the question to the person picking it up, "Got chops?" I've read so many reviews in which people write, "I can't put this one down," and "I'm ignoring my other expensive guitars to play this one," and, "This guitar is so fun to play." Yeah. Now I get it.

CRAZY good neck on this guitar. Extremely comfy, very fast, and super easy to play. It feels very similar to my EVH 5150 Standard and EVH Frankie. This neck even bears some resemblance to my 80s Peavy Tracer. Granted, that Peavy neck is 24 frets and slightly thinner near the heel end, but I'm referring to over impression of care that you can feel someone took in finishing the neck. Necks like these feel like old baseball gloves. The frets are larger than on my Chinese Kramer, though not too tall. There are no protruding fret ends and they are dead level. More than that, the edges on this neck feel rolled, like what you typically only see on much higher dollar guitars. How can they do this on a $179 instrument?

Acoustically the guitar is loud, open voiced, and snappy, ringing and resonating even when unplugged. If you sound the open strings and let them ring while turning the guitar over the pitch does not fall. To me this indicates strong "bones," the sign of a most excellent, rigid, stable platform.

Before plugging into an amp I removed the middle trem spring and lubed the nut. After tuning the guitar to Eb (proper VH tuning), I connected the Baretta to my 1986 Marshall Lead 12 that was powering a 4X12 and ran through some 80s style guitar wankery. Naturally, many of my licks and runs were punctuated by reaching down and grabbing the bar for a dive or squeal. I soon discovered that my Baretta does not stay in tune so good. :roll: I'll have to work on that.

That's really no strike against the Baretta Special. Try putting a non-locking, standard trem on a Gibson Explorer, with it's hockey shaped, tilt back headstock, and see what happens. Most everything we've learned about keeping a standard trem in tune has to do with having a straight string pull and decreasing friction. The tilt back hockey stick headstock was not designed to be paired with a standard Fender style trem.

As far as the amplified tone, the pickup sounds quite good, probably about as good as you're going to hear out of a generic, no name brand pickup that comes stock in a dirt cheap guitar. I lowered the height down to the ring and it sounds strong and clear. The resistance is about 15K and it's pretty obvious they were going for a JB vibe. I found the tone particularly pleasing with the volume knob rolled back slightly, which produced a percussive, woody, throaty growl. An A2 magnet might be very interesting in this pup, pushing the mids while rounding the note bloom and sponginess.

Must be Italian.
IMG_1493.jpeg

IMG_1495.jpeg

IMG_1496.jpeg

What the hey? No Sweet Tarts?!?!
IMG_1494.jpeg

The first thing mrs tmc said when I opened the box was, "It looks like pink." I had to agree that it sorta did. I definitely wouldn't call it "ruby red" . . . more like coral red. That being said, I do like the color. It definitely photographs more red than it looks in person.
IMG_1497.jpeg
IMG_1502.jpeg

These marketing executives at Gibson/Epiphone . . . boy do they know how to push the buttons of us 50 something-year-old dudes. And why not? In purchasing Kramer they not only own the designs and names, but also all the 80s, retro imagery that which is so imbedded in the psyche of those of us who were young that time.
IMG_1500.jpeg

The strings were quite rusty. So much for Sweetwater's gazillion point inspection. Does that service now only apply on guitars over a certain dollar amount?
IMG_1499.jpeg

That beautiful, sexy, smooth rolled neck and those lovely frets.
IMG_1503.jpeg

IMG_1504.jpeg
toomanycats
Reactions:

I was surprised to find that the full sized, low friction, Korean made volume pot on this guitar does not function like the dreaded on/off switch that many report, and it in fact does have a useful taper that cleans up well. Has Kramer addressed that problem on this batch, or did I just get lucky and somebody accidentally installed an audio pot? I'm leaving that capacitor in for now.
IMG_1501.jpeg

The hardware in general is superior on this Indonesian Kramer as compared with that on my two Chinese Kramers. The strap buttons are a good example of that.
IMG_1505.jpeg

When the neck bolt plate and tuners are perfectly squared up and aligned it says something to me about the care with which the instrument was assembled. Both are good on this guitar.
IMG_1506.jpeg

Sweetwater had this model and color backordered since Spring of 2023. However, the serial number on this guitar indicates 2022 manufacture. Has this guitar been sitting in a shipping container somewhere offshore for a year? Is this why the strings are rusted?
IMG_1508.jpeg

The ruby red Baretta does look slightly pink in person, especially when contrasted with the metallic red Pacer. Yet when I put a truly pink guitar next to these other two, the Baretta looks red, just a lighter shade than than the Pacer.
IMG_1498.jpeg
IMG_1511.jpeg
Rollin Hand
Reactions:

HNGD! Like I said, it's nearly impossible to go wrong with these.

I am pondering snagging another one used for a visit from my old friend Floyd, or one of his friends from Aisa and the sub-continent.
- Ron Swanson
RiverDog
Reactions:

Yes! Acquire ALL the Kramers!! HNGD Cats. I’m glad others are finding out how good these are. I almost let a bunch of dudes on a gear-based FB group talk me out of buying this because they said it couldn’t be any good for how cheap it is but I’m so glad I got it. They’re so fun to play and at the end of the day, that’s what it’s all about. Have fun!
Aaron
---------------
"What is perfect pitch?"
"Perfect pitch is when you toss a banjo into the dumpster, it hits an accordion and they both break."
toomanycats
Reactions:

The Metallic Blue Baretta has arrived.

First things first: There was no candy in the box. WTF?
There was also signs that the plastic bag containing the literature, stickers, trem bar, and saddle adjustment wrench had been opened, and the adjustment wrench was missing.
Double WTF?
The high E string was dead at the 2nd fret, and the guitar had obviously not been set up.
Triple WTF?
After the red Baretta I previously received had strings so rusty I needed a tetanus booster before handling it, this is just a little disappointing. Now that I think about it, neither guitar came with a truss rod adjustment tool in the bag either, though you'd think they would have. Even the most inexpensive guitars come with that in the box.
Sure, I don't really need the candy, and I've got a gazillion of those wrenches laying around, and I know how to deal with high frets and how to set up guitars, but c'mon. What if I was somebody who couldn't fix this myself, and didn't have hex keys? What if I was a young kid and this was my first guitar? Not only is the guitar not set up, but the tool required to set it up is missing from the box. If you're gonna brag about "obsessing over details" and "WOWING" the customers, please get this stuff right. I mean, Sweetwater's statement of "Core Values" sounds like it was written by Lou Loomis, head of the Bushwood County Club Caddyshack:

pick it up.jpeg

a50015af6dfd1f0bc240941288be53f6.jpg

If you're going to resort to using cliche hyperbole like this, then please at least follow through. Unless you're playing a joke on us with this flatus vocis. Sweetwater had knocked $11 off this guitar for me, making me think I got good deal on a new guitar, but then they sent me what I consider a used B stock in need of minor repair with a part missing from the box.

If they keep this up they're going to be replaced by golf carts, or something like that. ;) :lol:

Now that that is off my chest . . .

Ruby Red and Metallic Blue Baretta.
IMG_1517.jpeg

Kramer Family Photo
Teal Focus VT-211S, Ruby Red Baretta, Metallic Blue Baretta, Scarlet Metallic Red Pacer Classic.
IMG_1518.jpeg

Some observations on the red vs the blue Baretta:

The two Brettas actually sound different. The Blue guitar has more air in the tone, is more open, hollow, and woody. The Red has a more full bodied tone. It's not a case of better or worse, just different.
The edges of the neck on the red is slightly better, in that the frets are ultra smooth and the neck rolled to a very great degree. The neck of the blue guitar is also exceptional, with no sharp frets and very low action. It's just not quiet as spectacular as the red.
The blue guitar produces an amazing cocked wah tone with the volume knob rolled down almost to the point of where it cuts off. It reminds me of Adrian's lead tone on the first Vandenberg album. The red one can get a somewhat similar tone, though it's just not as pronounced.
As previously mentioned, the blue Baretta did have a slightly raised 3rd fret that caused the high E string to ring dead when depressed at the 2nd fret. A couple stout whacks with the plastic butt end of hefty screwdriver took care of that. No more buzzing. Here's a lesson for you kid's from a middle aged dude who learned the hard way: Always give a fret a tap before you start grinding metal.

The blue Baretta has a 2021 serial number, which is kinda weird. The red Baretta is 2022. Given how these guitars apparently sell like hotcakes, you'd think a new Baretta Special ordered at the end of 2023 would have a 2023 serial number. The only explanation I can think of is that they have a large stockpile of these necks, made a couple years in advance, and they just grab a bunch off the shelf when they manufacture a batch of these Baretta Specials. This could account for the necks being a year or two older than the actual date of assembly. I'm also wondering if the neck of the Baretta Special is shared with the more expensive Baretta model that comes with a Duncan pickup and Floyd 1000. @Rollin Hand has suggested that the Baretta Special has a maple body that is identical to the higher end Baretta.

I'm planning on using the trem only on the red Baretta. I'll use the 3rd spring I removed from the red guitar as a 4th spring for the blue guitar. That'll keep that sucker locked down tight. A fixed bridge little rock machine with a single bridge pickup and single knob is a joyous thing to play. I'm going for a Jake E Lee type thing with this blue one, with diving only via neck bending. Jake played a blue Charvel around 1986 that I thought was so cool.

Judging all four Kramers:

As far as the entire pack, out of my four Epi Kramers I rank the two Barettas as the best. I'm not just saying this because we're on honeymoon this weekend. These Indonesia made guitars are noticeably superior to the Chinese made guitars.
The Focus has a great body, neck, and pickups, but the tuners seriously suck. It is, however, very versatile tonally and very fun to play.
The Pacer is ranked last. Don't get me wrong, I like it and I'm glad I bought it. It has my least favorite neck (a little too fat for a shredder), it is the heaviest of the bunch, and the tone is at the same time a little thin (maybe from the cheap Floyd) and at the same time slightly muffled.
tobijohn
Reactions:

Super-Strat.jpg
I stumbled across this one on the Amazon Warehouse Deals site:

www.amazon.com/GoDpsMusic-Sawtooth-Acce ... als&sr=8-5
Attachments
Sawtooth ET Hybrid.jpg
toomanycats
Reactions:

tobijohn wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2023 12:56 am

Super-Strat.jpg
I stumbled across this one on the Amazon Warehouse Deals site:

www.amazon.com/GoDpsMusic-Sawtooth-Acce ... als&sr=8-5
That is a very bizarre pickup configuration, not to mention the THREE 3-way switches (2 blades and a single toggle). One would have to do a lot of fast manipulation to move between the 15 different pickup combinations. But for a guy like Michael Angelo Batio that played a four neck guitar with unparalleled virtuosity, both over and under the necks, quick movements are likely not a problem.

Also, did you notice that a $265.00 German made Floyd Rose Original (FRT100) comes on that $305.00 guitar?