"You look like a pink nightmare." - Ralphie's Father

toomanycats
Reactions:

So the other day I walk into a pawn shop and one of the employees asks if I'm interested in a junk guitar in their back room. I say, "Let me take a look,” and they disappear into the the back to retrieve said guitar.

While I'm waiting I mosey on down the counter to check out this beautiful old Yugoslavian SKS that's come in since the last time I was in. As I'm admiring the carbine I see out of the corner of my eye that the employee has returned from the back and laid a guitar on the counter. From fifteen feet away I see that it's a Strat, it's got no strings, and it's pink. I say a silent prayer as I forget about the gun and walk over to the guitar: "Please Lord let it be a Hello Kitty!"

It wasn't a Hello Kitty, but it sure was pink; more of a Pepto-Bismol hue than the light shell hue that is more popular.

In took me about 20 seconds to make a quick assessment:

*Probably an older Squier neck. Very nice, dark rosewood fretboard with 22 frets that are in good shape.
*Tuners changed at some point from the stamped trapezoid jobbers to a cast set.
*Three ply white pearloid pickguard.
*Two single coil sized double blade pickups in the bridge and neck positions, and a ALNiCo single coil in the middle.
*Two mini toggles and a pull knob on one of the tones. Likely both coil splitting and phase options going on here.
*The 5-way switch is the beefy, mechanical, higher quality type.
*The guitar is about the lightest Strat I've ever felt. The soft, porous body looks an awful lot like pine.

I ask, "How much?"
They say,"Twenty-five bucks out the door."
It's a done deal.

I get the guitar home, do the autopsy thing I typically do with a weird old piece like this, solder a couple disconnected wires, and string it up. I take a few pics during the process, just for you fellas. I believe that the blade pickups may be Kent Armstrongs.

Damn if this thing isn't a pink little beast. It's extremely resonant acoustically and plays well for a guitar with a more traditional neck radius. The electronics function perfectly, though I'm still trying to get the hang of all the switching options. The tones the pickups produce can go from full, ballsy and brash . . . to delicate, thin, phased and nasal. This guitar covers lots of sonic ground.

My initial thought was to paint it and maybe fix it up cosmetically. Call me weird, but I've decided I sorta like it the way it is now. But then I’m the type of guy who thought Steve Vai’s Green Meanie was the bees knees, and not too long ago I paid a grand and a half for a beat up looking EVH Frankie relic.

IMG_1308.jpeg

Note that all three knobs say "tone." An accident? A necessity due to parts availability? Or a boasting message from the builder?
IMG_1309.jpeg

IMG_1310.jpeg
IMG_1311.jpeg
IMG_1304.jpeg
IMG_1301.jpeg
IMG_1306.jpeg

When you really want a bathtub route and aren't fussy about how you get it.
IMG_1299.jpeg

IMG_1295.jpeg

IMG_1297.jpeg
IMG_1296.jpeg

IMG_1298.jpeg

This sticker is on the backside of the spring cavity cover.
IMG_1302.jpeg
“There are only two means of refuge from the miseries of life: Music and Cats!” Albert Schweitzer
mozz
Reactions:

Yeeee, soldering school dropout there. Pickups look nice, i don't know about that order but... What kind of trem block?
AGF refugee
toomanycats
Reactions:

mozz wrote: Thu Aug 03, 2023 5:03 pm Yeeee, soldering school dropout there. Pickups look nice, i don't know about that order but... What kind of trem block?
Yes, definitely some amateur luthier skills on display here. The chiseled out bathtub was done none too artfully, and there's some pretty ugly sanding on the headstock. It has that grind it until it smokes burnt wood look. Don't even get me started on the totally unnecessary piece of cut up credit card shim I took out of the neck pocket, which had the heel angled DOWN! WTF?

The trem block is the typical import pot metal or zinc type.

Going by the clue of the 1996 date on the neck, I'm conjecturing that it, along with the bridge and other assorted hardware, could be from a 50th anniversary Squier. The 22 fret neck and the holes from the stamped trapezoid tuners (now replaced) would match that.

I'm thinking the body is not original to the neck. You can see from the pics that it's bare wood, no primer. Just doesn't have a Squier factory guitar look.

The "WD Custom Pickguards" sticker is what leads me to believe the blades may be Kent Armstrong, as they produce blade pickups with an ALNiCo magnet that look just like these, and they are sold through WD Music.
https://www.wdmusic.com/kent-armstrong- ... ml#reviews
“There are only two means of refuge from the miseries of life: Music and Cats!” Albert Schweitzer
Rollin Hand
Reactions:

Could the body be one of those GFS pawlonia jobs?

And the bridge looks an awful lot like a Peavey Predator bridge...or at least an offshore cheapy.

And I'm also a guy that loves the Green Meanie. I dig mojo.
"I'm not a sore loser. It's just that I prefer to win, and when I don't, I get furious."
- Ron Swanson
toomanycats
Reactions:

Rollin Hand wrote: Thu Aug 03, 2023 7:44 pm Could the body be one of those GFS pawlonia jobs?

And the bridge looks an awful lot like a Peavey Predator bridge...or at least an offshore cheapy.

Great observations.
Is paulownia really light? I have no experience with it.
I've got an 89 Peavey Predator right here. The saddles do look very similar. However, the Peavey has a weird four hole bridge plate and it's block is made out of some type of plastic.
I'm really just tickled to death by this pink guitar as a cheap, good sounding, good playing beater. It has so much more charisma than a cheap shiny new Squier.
Rollin Hand
Reactions:

toomanycats wrote: Thu Aug 03, 2023 9:39 pm
Rollin Hand wrote: Thu Aug 03, 2023 7:44 pm Could the body be one of those GFS pawlonia jobs?

Great observations.
Is paulownia really light? I have no experience with it.
I've got an 89 Peavey Predator right here. The saddles do look very similar. However, the Peavey has a weird four hole bridge plate and it's block is made out of some type of plastic.
I'm really just tickled to death by this pink guitar as a cheap, good sounding, good playing beater. It has so much more charisma than a cheap shiny new Squier.
GAH! You're right. I forgot about the four screws thing. The block is zinc, dipped in plastic. Basically, that guitar has a lot of offshore components for something "Crafted in the USA".

Heck the bodies were even made it Taiwan.

FWIW, I put an AliExpress Wilkinson trem on mine, and it has been more trouble than it's been worth. I should have done saddles and a block instead.

As for pawlonia, it's very light and very soft from what I understand. It falls into the "so why did they make guitars out of that?" category to me.
"I'm not a sore loser. It's just that I prefer to win, and when I don't, I get furious."
- Ron Swanson
tonebender
Reactions:
Gearlist: Fav: Gibson LP and Gibson Goldtone Amp. Other gear: Gretsch, Peavey, Taylor and more.

Certainly a bargain at that price. Happy NGD!
"Will follow through with a transaction when the terms are agreed upon" almightybunghole
jtcnj
Reactions:

Interesting piece and mods, and worth the price in parts alone.
Nice Score!!
Old AGF since Feb. 2015; refugee of the Great MOMO Purge of May 2020.
jhull54
Reactions:

That's a steal. Has mojo. Like it. I've bought several sets of WD Music tuners. They're pretty good quality. Interesting that that sticker was on the underside of that cover.
toomanycats
Reactions:

jhull54 wrote: Fri Aug 04, 2023 12:37 pm That's a steal. Has mojo. Like it. I've bought several sets of WD Music tuners. They're pretty good quality. Interesting that that sticker was on the underside of that cover.
Yeah, I'm not sure what to make of the sticker thing. If anything, I'd think they'd sourced that nice three ply pearloid pickguard from WD Music. The back cover is white and doesn't even match. Maybe the sticker came in the delivery box, like with Sweetwater, and that's just where they put it?

Ya know, I've fantasized about an original owner of one of these oddball guitars I come across discovering my post on this forum, signing up, and saying, "That was my guitar!" Then we'll get some answers! :lol: