SBS Guitars

littlebadboy
Reactions:

Thought of sharing. I know they're not popular in these parts, but Guitar Fetish has an SBS line of guitars. I'm not a fan of the relic job, but with the superstrat body and reverse headstock, I thought of making a poor man's version of Nuno's N4 out of it.

Considering it has a good spec sheet and orig Floyd Rose... I may be GAS'ing.

Rollin Hand
Reactions:

Ok, I am going to be that guy....

The Floyd won't be a German-made original. At BEST it will be a 1000 series (great trems), but a Floyd Special (not bad, but not great either) is still a technically a Floyd Rose trem. They don't specify which Floyd at all. Honestly, I would have preferred if they used their own heavy duty trems.

And medium jumbo frets don't get it for me on one of these types of guitars.

I know this doesn't impact most of the gang, but I did the math to ship one of these to Canada. And it works out to $755 CAD plus taxes and duty, which will likely make it closer to $900. Lots of used Charvels out there for a bit more, with the ability to sell for less of a drop off when the time comes.

And lots of Harley Bentons for far less.

It looks great -- I even like the relicing (relicking? Re-licking?), anf if these were even remotely economical for me, I would consider it strongly.

And the pickups have potential. I likes me a hot A2, like in my EVH guitars.
"I'm not a sore loser. It's just that I prefer to win, and when I don't, I get furious."
- Ron Swanson
toomanycats
Reactions:

Very interesting, and thanks for sharing. These appear to be a lot of guitar for $379.

I'd be very tempted if I hadn't already picked up over half a dozen similarly outfitted (superstrat) guitars in the last couple of years, and that list includes an EVH Frankie Relic, EVH 5150 Standard, Charvel Super Stock 1888, Jackson Pro Series Soloist, MIJ Ibanez RG 570, and MIJ Jackson Dinky.

However, if I had to have an SBS it would be the Ferrari Red HSS. I prefer the rounded contours of a traditional Strat body and that red paint is fire. Looking at the specs, the single coils do seem bit hot for my taste at 11K for the middle and 10.2K for the neck, though I bet that 14.5K A2 bridge humbucker sounds bitchin'.

I'm also assuming that the trem is a Floyd Special at this price point. I've got Specials, 1000s, original German units, and the MIJ Takeuchi, and honestly I don't hear the difference. Durability in the long term is the issue I believe.

What I really wish SBS offered is a model configured as HS with a decked Floyd (dive only). Basically the Warren DiMartini set up.

VS300_RC_A-1.jpg
“There are only two means of refuge from the miseries of life: Music and Cats!” Albert Schweitzer
Rollin Hand
Reactions:

toomanycats wrote: Sun Jul 16, 2023 11:51 am Very interesting, and thanks for sharing. These appear to be a lot of guitar for $379.

I'd be very tempted if I hadn't already picked up over half a dozen similarly outfitted (superstrat) guitars in the last couple of years, and that list includes an EVH Frankie Relic, EVH 5150 Standard, Charvel Super Stock1888, Jackson Pro Series Soloist, MIJ Ibanez RG 570, and MIJ Jackson Dinky.

However, if I had to have an SBS it would be the Ferrari Red HSS. I prefer the rounded contours of a traditional Strat body and that red paint is fire. Looking at the specs, the single coils do seem bit hot for my taste at 11K for the middle and 10.2K for the neck, though I bet that 14.5K A2 bridge humbucker sounds bitchin'.

I'm also assuming that the trem is a Floyd Special at this price point. I've got Specials, 1000s, original German units, and the MIJ Takeuchi, and honestly I don't hear the difference. Durability in the long term is the issue I believe.

What I really wish SBS offered is a model configured as HS with a decked Floyd (dive only). Basically the Warren DiMartini set up.

VS300_RC_A-1.jpg
I hear the difference with a brass block and steel saddles on my EVH Wolf Standard. OFR bolts and string blocks also liven things up.

I like the red too with the other body. It makes me think of these new models.

"I'm not a sore loser. It's just that I prefer to win, and when I don't, I get furious."
- Ron Swanson
slowhand84
Reactions:

littlebadboy wrote: Sun Jul 16, 2023 10:19 am Thought of sharing. I know they're not popular in these parts, but Guitar Fetish has an SBS line of guitars. I'm not a fan of the relic job, but with the superstrat body and reverse headstock, I thought of making a poor man's version of Nuno's N4 out of it.

Considering it has a good spec sheet and orig Floyd Rose... I may be GAS'ing.

Like others said I would get something like a Harley Benton Fusion 100 times before I would purchase any premade guitar from GF. You get stainless frets with the HB which is a big plus also, and as someone else said I am 100% positive these are not OFRs but something more akin to a Floyd Rose Special. "Genuine" Floyd Rose simply means it's a Floyd Rose branded product, and many of the cheaper FRs are mediocre and made with inferior metals.

Also weird that every single one is a "relic" finish (and in my opinion a pretty poorly done one that looks like someone just took a razor blade to the finish in the corners of the body and called it a day)...that'll cut out probably 80% of the target audience as the folks who like superstrat shredder type guitars and the folks that like relic finishes are typically not the same group of people.
jtcnj
Reactions:

They look pretty good spec. wise for the price range, but for me, I pass on the relic stuff.
I don't have any GAS for more FR guitars, my Jackson MIJ DK2 Dinky fills the need.
Haven't picked that one up in a while.... this thread may change that.
Old AGF since Feb. 2015; refugee of the Great MOMO Purge of May 2020.
Rollin Hand
Reactions:

The A5s sound very nice clean.

Man, I wish the shipping didn't make these so pricey.
- Ron Swanson
Rollin Hand
Reactions:

And it seems someone else shares some of my concerns....

- Ron Swanson
glasshand
Reactions:

I like that VS200, but I'm not sure why they even really call it a Jazzmaster, though...

Jazzmaster body shape:

Jazzmaster pickups:
Jazzmaster bridge/tremolo:
Jazzmaster control scheme:
tonebender
Reactions:
Gearlist: Fav: Gibson LP and Gibson Goldtone Amp. Other gear: Gretsch, Peavey, Taylor and more.

I know what you mean, I built a guitar on a Jazzmaster body platform but it was an HH guitar. I do not call it a Jazzmaster, I call it ergonomic. The Jazzmaster body is soooo comfortable.
"Will follow through with a transaction when the terms are agreed upon" almightybunghole
andrewsrea
Reactions:
Gearlist: 28 Guitars: (2) basses, (2) acoustics, (3) hollow bodies, (3) Semi hollow, (1) Double-neck, (17) Solid-bodies

Not sure if it is relevant, but I had a chance to play a GFS Earl Slick Telecaster in the local Music Go Round and it was a lot of guitar for the money. Neck was a little thin for me, but overall good quality.
Live life to the fullest! - Rob
BatUtilityBelt
Reactions:

I keep finding myself a bit impressed with the value of the guitars GuitarFetish sells, and then being annoyed that they seem to hate lefties (none offered, anyway). But I have to say I like the company overall. They did me a good turn recently too. I bought a bunch of pots and they came without mounting nuts and washers. GFS apologized, said it was an oversight, and quickly sent out the missing pieces. Very good to work with.