How's This For A Deal? (IBBY MIJ RG & Hetfield EMGs)

toomanycats
Reactions:

Today I bought an EMG "Het Set" of active humbuckers for $145.48.

The real sweet part was that they came wrapped up in a FugiGen built, Ibanez RG 570. Ridiculously good Japanese build on this guitar.

IMG_0959.jpg

B033D870-74B1-4F2C-B329-289061428139.jpeg

0ED90AD5-761C-4AAE-92FC-730EE5773714.jpeg

A95251F9-22E6-4412-B504-C25D8C2BEB2A.jpeg

BE4A4015-73D3-425C-9165-51777ABACF5F.jpeg
“There are only two means of refuge from the miseries of life: Music and Cats!” Albert Schweitzer
slowhand84
Reactions:

toomanycats wrote: Sat Jan 14, 2023 4:32 pm Today I bought an EMG "Het Set" of active humbuckers for $145.48.

The real sweet part was they came wrapped up in a Fugigen built, Ibanez RG 570. Ridiculously good Japanese build on this guitar.
Neat! Can't go wrong with a nice MIJ Ibanez most of the time (though I can't do the super thin Ibby necks myself). Pawn shop grab?
toomanycats
Reactions:

slowhand84 wrote: Sat Jan 14, 2023 4:37 pm
toomanycats wrote: Sat Jan 14, 2023 4:32 pm Today I bought an EMG "Het Set" of active humbuckers for $145.48.

The real sweet part was they came wrapped up in a Fugigen built, Ibanez RG 570. Ridiculously good Japanese build on this guitar.
Neat! Can't go wrong with a nice MIJ Ibanez most of the time (though I can't do the super thin Ibby necks myself). Pawn shop grab?

Yes, pawn shop grab. Those poor gun guys had it hanging up alongside the cheapo Squiers. I spotted it immediately. I knew it was a killer deal when I saw the EMGs, but when I turned it over and saw "Made in Japan" I almost felt like I was stealing it at that price.
“There are only two means of refuge from the miseries of life: Music and Cats!” Albert Schweitzer
BatUtilityBelt
Reactions:

Great find, and yeah, I'd say you kinda stole it. I'd love to trade your pawn shop for all the pawn shops in Omaha!
toomanycats
Reactions:

The EMG Het Set are very interesting. Back when I was a mostly metal player I had an EMG 81 in the bridge position of Charvel, and I liked it for what I required at the time. But since that time I have not had need for active pickups.

This EMG Hetfield set are not sterile or harsh as the EMG 81 can tend to be, and they have a warmer, more pleasing tone which is also super defined. I'd almost describe it as hi-fi. There's sufficient output that I wouldn't need an overdrive pedal when using them, though they also clean up extraordinarily well with the guitar volume knob. They are exceedingly articulate, with the neck position having almost a hot single coil snap and bite. The bridge pup is aggressive, percussive, grainy, and tight in a way that sorta reminds me of Lynch's tone on the Back For the The Attack album. I'm really shocked by these pickups, and even more so because I thought they'd be a one-trick metal rhythm pony à la James Hetfield. I can see them being utilized for genres far afield from Metallica's music. Honestly, I'm dying to hear these in a Les Paul and I may very well transfer these into one of my Gibsons to satisfy that curiosity.

When purchased new this pickup set comes from EMG with a switch, two pots, and wiring harness for the battery. It's all designed to be easily installed vis quick connect. As the EMG provided switch is three way, the previous owner opted to not wire in the Ibanez middle position S7 single coil.

As I haven't used an EMG active pickup in literally decades, I've gotta ask, what's the deal with the battery? Does it just stays on all the time? If so, why doesn't it constantly drain? I don't see an on/off switch.
slowhand84
Reactions:

toomanycats wrote: Sat Jan 14, 2023 4:44 pm
slowhand84 wrote: Sat Jan 14, 2023 4:37 pm

Yes, pawn shop grab. Those poor gun guys has it hanging up alongside the cheapo Squiers. I spotted it immediately. I knew it was a killer deal when I saw the EMGs, but when I turned it over and saw "Made in Japan" I almost felt like I was stealing it at that price.
Nice! I'm still kinda shocked whenever I see anyone get a good deal at a place like that because it's 2023 and you can find the value of pretty much any instrument in 5 minutes or less via the internet. Makes me wonder why they don't care to do that, but of course there's GC Used too where they price stuff insanely low all the time. Enjoy it!
BatUtilityBelt
Reactions:

toomanycats wrote: Sat Jan 14, 2023 5:29 pm As I haven't used an EMG active pickup in literally decades, I've gotta ask, what's the deal with the battery? Does it just stays on all the time? If so, why doesn't it constantly drain? I don't see an on/off switch.
Just a wild guess, but maybe it can sense when its circuit is closed (pickup enabled and guitar plugged in)?
slowhand84
Reactions:

toomanycats wrote: Sat Jan 14, 2023 5:29 pm The EMG Het Set are very interesting. Back when I was a mostly metal player I had an EMG 81 in the bridge position of Charvel, and I liked it for what I required at the time. But since that time I have not had need for active pickups.

This EMG Hetfield set are a surprise to me. They're not sterile or harsh and have a very pleasing tone. I'd almost describe it as hi-fi. There's enough output that I wouldn't need an overdrive pedal when using them, though they also clean up extraordinarily well with just the guitar volume knob. They are super articulate, and the neck position almost has a hot single coil sound. The bridge is percussive, tight, and snarly in a way that reminds me of a George Lynch's tone. I'm really shocked by these pickups, and even more so because I thought they'd be a one-trick metal rhythm pony.

When purchased new this pickup set comes from EMG with a switch, two pots, and wiring harness for the battery. Its all designed to be easily installed vis quick connect. The switch is three way, and the previous owner opted to not wire in the Ibanez middle position single coil.

As I haven't used an EMG active pickup in literally decades, I've gotta ask, what's the deal with the battery? Does it just stays on all the time? If so, why doesn't it constantly drain? I don't see an on/off switch.
Battery is only in active use when the guitar is plugged in. If you don't plug a cable into it, it won't be draining. They also last quite a long time that way, so just unplug it when not in use and you'll be good.
mickey
Reactions:

slowhand84 wrote: Sat Jan 14, 2023 5:47 pm [

Battery is only in active use when the guitar is plugged in. If you don't plug a cable into it, it won't be draining. They also last quite a long time that way, so just unplug it when not in use and you'll be good.
That is the way mine work.
Gandalf the Intonationer
Rollin Hand
Reactions:

FRIG! Nice job on that grab. I would be all over that kind of deal like white on rice. Of course up here pawn shops charge new prices for what could charitably be described as "lightly used" (read: dragged behind a snowplow) goods.

If you are not familiar with the Edge trem, expect to fall in love with it.

Is it an AANJ, or the old school square neck joint?
"I'm not a sore loser. It's just that I prefer to win, and when I don't, I get furious."
- Ron Swanson
toomanycats
Reactions:

Rollin Hand wrote: Sun Jan 15, 2023 9:06 am FRIG! Nice job on that grab. I would be all over that kind of deal like white on rice. Of course up here pawn shops charge new prices for what could charitably be described as "lightly used" (read: dragged behind a snowplow) goods.

Here's the specs for this 2001 guitar:

https://ibanez.fandom.com/wiki/RG570_(1997–2002)

It does have the AANJ neck joint and the profile is Super Wizard. I believe the finish on mine is either Gray Nickel or Iron Pewter.

I've been setting the guitar up for the last hour. It was strung with .11s or maybe even 12s and I get the impression the previous owner was a rhythm player, hence the choice of the EMG Hetfields. Not much fret wear other than in the area of the bass strings on the first five frets.

The Edge trem feels like a ridiculously solid piece of hardware, but then this entire guitar has that overall feeling of superb quality. The last two guitars I bought were inexpensive superstrat types, a Kramer VT-211S and a Jackson JS22 Dinky. While these are nice-for-what-they-are $200 and under instruments, they literally feel like toys compared to this 22 year old Japanese Ibanez. This RG570 is on another planet.

B07293EE-432F-4292-883B-136B8F9FA1A0.jpeg
redman
Reactions:
Gearlist: Gibson LP, Agile PS900, SX Tele, SX Strat, PRS SE Zach Myers Yamaha FGX830c, Yamaha LL16, Yamaha LL26, Eastman E10D, Tobias Bass, Squire CV 60's P Bass

Great score.
Rollin Hand
Reactions:

toomanycats wrote: Sun Jan 15, 2023 10:42 am
Rollin Hand wrote: Sun Jan 15, 2023 9:06 am FRIG! Nice job on that grab. I would be all over that kind of deal like white on rice. Of course up here pawn shops charge new prices for what could charitably be described as "lightly used" (read: dragged behind a snowplow) goods.

Here's the specs for this 2001 guitar:

https://ibanez.fandom.com/wiki/RG570_(1997–2002)

It does have the AANJ neck joint and the profile is Super Wizard.

I've been setting the guitar up for the last hour. It was strung with .11s or maybe even 12s and I get the impression the previous owner was a rhythm player, hence the choice of the EMG Hetfields. Not much fret wear other than in the area of the bass strings on the first five frets.

The Edge trem feels like a ridiculously solid piece of hardware, but then this entire guitar has that overall feeling of superb quality. The last two guitars I bought were inexpensive superstrat types, a Kramer VT-211S and a Jackson JS22 Dinky. While these are nice-for-what-they-are $200 and under instruments, they literally feel like toys compared to this 22 year old Japanese Ibanez. This RG570 is on another planet.

B07293EE-432F-4292-883B-136B8F9FA1A0.jpeg
On my RG 410 the only thing that went wrong with the Edge in 16 years I had iit was I broke a bar once. Aside from that, you had to try to get that bad boy out of tune. Designed and built by Gotoh.

I have already decided that the next time one comes up at a local shop that for some reason sells these cheap, I am on it like a wet t-shirt.
"I'm not a sore loser. It's just that I prefer to win, and when I don't, I get furious."
- Ron Swanson