Owooooo! WOLF WLP 750T Blue Burst

toomanycats
Reactions:

Until today I've only ever read about guitars of this brand, mostly on this forum as a matter of fact. By chance I came across a real one this morning and was sufficiently impressed that I decided to bring it home with me.

I normally don't like guitars with this much bling . . . and I don't particularly like abalone. I own an Agile AL-3010 SE in a root beer finish and the blue and purple hues in the abalone look sickly and garish against that earthy backdrop. I've actually thought about putting MOP stickers over the abalone inlays of that Agile. However, I find that abalone, if you are going to us it, is eminently suited to the blue burst finish of this Wolf guitar. If this were an Agile, then Kurt might call it "Ocean Burst," though it would be a batch of said finish that came in a little darker around the edges, closer to what Gibson calls "Blueberry."

Some quick research leads me to believe that this guitar was made sometime between 2019 and just before the present. I say this because it has features that were introduced around 2019, including a bone nut and a neck constructed of three strips of wood. Yet I know it is not of the most recent construction because it has the discontinued wolf logo headstock, which I much prefer. Speaking of discontinued, I'll betcha that Gibson correct horn will be gone in 3 . . . 2 . . . 1 . . . You know that AIO has to have already received scary letters from Big G's lawyers over that.

The neck feels exactly like an MIK Unsung manufactured Epiphone LP I own with a 1960 profile. It's almost like Wolf used the exact same specs for the WLP.

The pickups sound quite nice, with pleasing musical overtones and no harshness. In a word I'd describe them as "smooth." The bridge is 14.5 K ohms resistance and the neck 7.9 K. Overall the guitar has a thick, warm, darker tone, by which I do not mean "muddy," but rather that it has a sound one would expect from a Les Paul.

AIO, who is the sole distributor of these instruments, touts the meticulous in house set-up they perform on every instrument. As I purchased this guitar 2nd hand, there is no way to know if it has been adjusted since leaving AIO's facility. That being said, the Wolf guitar in my possession is set-up perfectly. The action is excellent; it is intonated spot-on; the frets are perfectly level, polished, and dressed, with zero fret sprout or sharpness.

The inevitable comparison of this Wolf is with an Agile, and it is indeed much closer to an Agile than it is to, say, a Harley Benton or a Firefly. It has the solidity and heft, dare I say, chunkiness and weight, of a golden age Agile. I have read a lot of things about the Wolf WLP that I want to be true, though which I cannot verify. For instance, that they are made in South Korea, and that the pickups are A2. Having this guitar in my hands, and having some amount of experience, I can believe these things I've read; I mean, my perception does not convince me that they are not true. But it is such a blurry line between perception and reality for us idle dreamers who feel compelled to piddle away the hours of our lives on music, lost in a world of representation, studying the art of manipulating others with sound. All you really need to know is that I really like this guitar, that I keep returning to it like a lovestruck schoolboy, and that it'll be tagging along with me to my gigs this weekend. That much, at least, is true.

6B58E525-D1BB-46FF-BC3B-FB8003F9843D.jpeg
2AA861F5-1A59-4C29-AAAD-70D66292BB8A.jpeg
7DA8BE1B-F990-4CB5-905D-6B3A160CD9E8.jpeg
AEFA5924-11A7-43F1-A2D6-7E9AC02F67CB.jpeg
5D6043F0-DF7A-4D5E-BD18-323AE10B1805.jpeg
“There are only two means of refuge from the miseries of life: Music and Cats!” Albert Schweitzer
artandsoul
Reactions:

congrats! there nice guitars! Yes the abalone neck inlays looks very off on some of the colors they have but works on blue very well! I had a pair of wolf wlps few years ago there really nice close to agiles 3100 build. Love the abalone headstock and body binding its real pretty blingy like i love just dont like the 10lb lp weight anymore . Prob the closest thing to agile ive owned in lp shape for under 450 new.
"Nationwide, on average 21% of adults in the US are illiterate in 2023. 54% of adults have a literacy below 6th grade level" Now I know whats wrong with people lmao
LightWingStudios
Site Admin
Reactions:

Nice guitars. Cost is about DOUBLE of a FF...BEFORE MODS which you may not need to do with the Wolfs
so it's probably a wash.

I LOVE the fact that they have PLENTY of stock for our "Left Handed Brethren". :)

https://www.allinoneguitars.com/wolfelectric?page=1
U.S. Manufacturer Of Musical Instrument Protection Accessories: AxeShield HD, AxeSak HD, AmpShield HD, KeyShield HD, PedalShield HD, MixShield HD, AxeGlove And AxeCap.

Visit Us At https://www.LightWingStudios.com

Email us at contact@LightWingStudios.com
slowhand84
Reactions:

LightWingStudios wrote: Wed Mar 01, 2023 9:51 am Nice guitars. Cost is about DOUBLE of a FF...BEFORE MODS which you may not need to do with the Wolfs
so it's probably a wash.

I LOVE the fact that they have PLENTY of stock for our "Left Handed Brethren". :)

Yeah I would not compare these to the FFs in terms of quality, they are a fair distance apart. These Wolf guitars are actually made in Korea by KHL, the same company that produced the guitars for another fun brand we might have heard of around here ;).

Congrats on the NGD @toomanycats , enjoy it!!
LightWingStudios
Site Admin
Reactions:

slowhand84 wrote: Wed Mar 01, 2023 1:23 pm
LightWingStudios wrote: Wed Mar 01, 2023 9:51 am Nice guitars. Cost is about DOUBLE of a FF...BEFORE MODS which you may not need to do with the Wolfs
so it's probably a wash.

Yeah I would not compare these to the FFs in terms of quality, they are a fair distance apart. These Wolf guitars are actually made in Korea by KHL, the same company that produced the guitars for another fun brand we might have heard of around here ;).

AIO (WOLFE) contracted KHL to deal with other manufacturers. KHL is a Korean based company. Apparently, KHL was sourcing these guitars from IYV but claiming these were made in Korea.

Supposedly, AIO has discontinued their relationship with KHL. AIO is now dealing with the manufacturer, IVY, directly located in Vietnam.

Just goes to show the old adage "One never knows, do one?" is valid in this case. :)
U.S. Manufacturer Of Musical Instrument Protection Accessories: AxeShield HD, AxeSak HD, AmpShield HD, KeyShield HD, PedalShield HD, MixShield HD, AxeGlove And AxeCap.

Visit Us At https://www.LightWingStudios.com

Email us at contact@LightWingStudios.com
slowhand84
Reactions:

LightWingStudios wrote: Wed Mar 01, 2023 2:01 pm
so it's probably a wash.

AIO (WOLFE) contracted KHL to deal with other manufacturers. KHL is a Korean based company. Apparently, KHL was sourcing these guitars from IYV but claiming these were made in Korea.

Supposedly, AIO has discontinued their relationship with KHL. AIO is now dealing with the manufacturer, IVY, directly located in Vietnam.

Just goes to show the old adage "One never knows, do one?" is valid in this case. :)
Interesting! I suppose you really don't ever know the reality of things unless you're part of the deal.
toomanycats
Reactions:

Here's some more pics to provide better insight into the build of this Wolf WLP.

Mini pots all around. The electronic harness is one place corners were cut. Having said that, they function perfectly well and have a usable taper. My newer Jackson Pro Series Soloist also has mini pots. While my new 2020 Gibson 50s Les Paul Standard did come with full sized pots, those crapped out after only a year. It's also notable that the volume controls are wired independently on this Wolf.
2684D6A4-9439-4AC3-815F-E475627C6B6C.jpeg

Box switch.
99D56AAF-AA3D-4B9A-8878-997C4E4BC475.jpeg

Grovers, a substantial volute, and a three piece neck. Bonus points if you see the cat.
8D11271D-84F2-4C82-8F25-B83AA9011ABC.jpeg

It wasn't until I slackened the strings in order to oil the fretboard that I noticed that the 5th and 7th fret inlays had begun to lift. It's possible that the dry rosewood board contracted enough to cause this, or it could just be sloppy work. I have subsequently come across mention of this particular recurring issue on Wolf guitars. I'm hoping that moistening the fretboard will make it expand enough to hold the inlays in place. If not, then I found a tutorial on StewMac for how to fix it.
https://www.stewmac.com/video-and-ideas ... ard-inlay/
D0F4496F-D5AD-4BC5-8AD2-F9A81F2FEFE8.jpeg

Long neck tenon.
4810786E-7DD4-4571-9256-52E9FCF24FB2.jpeg

Evidence of the guitar having some kind of cap.
2505BCB6-43FD-4D3B-AD98-579FAC0E7FB4.jpeg

Nondescript pups with no identifying marks. They are supposedly "Destiny CNC Wound," which are the same pickups found in IVY guitars.
D57208A8-D3FD-438D-8CBD-FC57A838AE79.jpeg

Either my eyes are deceiving me, or it looks like there's a horizontal line in the bridge pickup cavity where a cap is affixed to the underlying body. Taken with what can be seen as a clear line of demarcation between the body and a cap on the inside corner of the horn, then I'd judge that this guitar has a substantially thick cap. What species of wood that cap is made of is unknown. For that matter, do we really know what the underlying body is made of? It's more likely than not that this Wolf is a Nato body with a basswood cap and 1/32" flame maple veneer. There is another vertical line clearly visible, indicating that the cap is made of multiple pieces and does not align with the book matched veneer top.
cap.jpeg

I also noted in my OP that I much preferred the original headstock and inlay design over what is seen on current Wolf guitars. Here's an example of a current model, and I think it sucks! I mean, seriously, is that the best headstock design they can come up with? If you're going to go snakehead, then at least give us a better string pull angle in exchange for the ugly. If they've butchered the headstock to this degree, then the horn being chopped or turned into a sharp point can't be far around the corner.
wolf new headstock.jpeg
“There are only two means of refuge from the miseries of life: Music and Cats!” Albert Schweitzer
toomanycats
Reactions:

LightWingStudios wrote: Wed Mar 01, 2023 2:01 pm
so it's probably a wash.

The plot thickens. I found this in the comment section of a video posted on AIO's YouTube page. If what AIO is asserting is true, then the question is raised whether the guitar in my possession is a "real" Wolf, or one of the batch made to cheaper standards by the contracted party who designed the original headstock logo?

all in one.jpeg

The video where the comment is posted.
toomanycats
Reactions:

Since buying this Wolf WLP 750T I've been doing a lot of research on the brand. I believe mine was produced around late 2019/early 2020. They have no serial numbers, so I'm basing this age estimate upon the following:

The fretboard is rosewood instead of ebony.
The neck is constructed of three pieces (similar to my Schecter Solo Six Custom).
It has the original Wolf headstock logo.
The pickups do not say "Destiny CNC Wound."

These changes occurred about three years ago. Since then there have been further alterations of the Wolf WLP 750T, most notable being the headstock logo.

In the course of studying YouTube videos I discovered an obscure channel with uploads from 9 years ago that show Wolf versions of the Gibson Flying V and Firebird.

My impression is that the golden age of Wolf seems to be, looking back in hindsight from 2023, around four years ago. There was something extraordinary about these earlier instruments that made people go nuts over them. Then there was a rough patch with dubitable quality control, which possibly had to do with increased demand, or was due to shenanigans and cutting corners on the part of the supplier.

Flying V!

Firebird!

Wolf even made a Rickenbacker copy, which from what I understand is notoriously difficult to do (for long) due to the fanatical copyright lawyers. Anybody remember this guy, @NickintheStates? He's always ahead of the curve with this stuff.