Anybody here own a BC Rich Mockinhbird NJ Series like this?

toomanycats
Reactions:

I’m asking because this guitar caught my attention at a shop yesterday. It’s made in Korea. What I’m most wondering about is the quality of the stock pickups, and whether it has any neck dive. I didn't get a chance to play it, so my gas at this point is being totally fueled by the visuals.
9A878725-EBA5-425B-A29F-2C00EB9531BC.jpeg
“There are only two means of refuge from the miseries of life: Music and Cats!” Albert Schweitzer
Lamf77
Reactions:

I do. Mockingbird, Eagle and Bich. Can send pictures when I get home. Great guitar going up in price. I paid between $400-$450 for each of mine. No real neck dive, but I play sitting.

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

toomanycats
Reactions:

Lamf77 wrote: Fri Jul 01, 2022 2:12 pm I do. Mockingbird, Eagle and Bich. Can send pictures when I get home. Great guitar going up in price. I paid between $400-$450 for each of mine. No real neck dive, but I play sitting.

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk
Thanks man, much appreciated.

I already went back the at shop and realized that the price is not that great on the BC Rich, as they're asking $900.

But while I was there I saw a 4X12 cabinet they had brought out since yesterday. I want this cab badly! It's on consignment and I'm waiting on the owner to contact me so we can haggle over the price. It's a Randall Lynch Box. That would be the signature model of George Lynch of Dokken and Lynch Mob fame (amongst many the projects). George is a well known gear whore and has endorsed many brands. The story I've read is that George brought his favorite cab to Randall, which was an early 70s Hi Watt 4X12 cabinet with a ported back and vintage Fane speakers, and asked them to build something similar. The Randall Lynch Box is the same dimensions as the Hi Watt, with the porting, but it's loaded with Emminece Super Vs. The Super Vs supposedly sound very similar to Fane speakers of early 70 vintage. What is more, the cabinet is covered in green alligator skin, and yes I do believe it's real skin. How friggin' cool is that?

The price on it is $900. I'm going to offer $600, on the basis that I could buy a brand new HiWatt 4X12 loaded with real Fane speakers for about $900, or I could just wait around to find a used Marshall 1960 cab, which seem to typically go in the $600 range.

Sorry for changing gears mid thread. :D

D2160649-6A84-4F69-891B-64B89CCEB60C.jpeg
IMG_0444.jpg
“There are only two means of refuge from the miseries of life: Music and Cats!” Albert Schweitzer
redman
Reactions:
Gearlist: Gibson LP, Agile PS900, SX Tele, SX Strat, PRS SE Zach Myers Yamaha FGX830c, Yamaha LL16, Yamaha LL26, Eastman E10D, Tobias Bass, Squire CV 60's P Bass

@toomanycats I played with a band called Emma's Basement for about a year back in the early 90's and the other guitarist played through an old 70's Hiwatt stack and it sounded incredible every bit as good or maybe even a little than my JMP 50 sitting on top of a Sunn 4X12 cabinet. The cabinet definitely sounded better than my Sunn, better bass response and better mids.
toomanycats
Reactions:

redman wrote: Fri Jul 01, 2022 4:45 pm @toomanycats I played with a band called Emma's Basement for about a year back in the early 90's and the other guitarist played through an old 70's Hiwatt stack and it sounded incredible every bit as good or maybe even a little than my JMP 50 sitting on top of a Sunn 4X12 cabinet. The cabinet definitely sounded better than my Sunn, better bass response and better mids.
Yes, those 70s Hiwatt cabinets are legendary for being very musical and woody, and the Fane speakers loaded in them are said to be like Greenbacks in that they break up early, but are more complex, very smooth, with lots of bottom.

Honesty, when I saw that Randall cabinet I was smitten with it looks, but then realized it was a) 300 watts, b) George's signature gear, and c) probably geared towards metal. I was correct about only the first two of those things. George is sneaky. Take, for instance, George's Screaming Demon Duncan pickup, which with a scary name like that gives the impression that it's a metal pickup, though it's really more like a hot PAF. Like wise, the Lynch Box is supposed to be voiced for country, jazz, rock and blues . . . not metal. I was initially thrown off by the Randall cab because I'm always looking for stuff loaded with Greenbacks and V30s.
Bullcat
Reactions:

@toomanycats if you want to save a few bucks they have one with Seymour Duncans at Guitar Center in Harrisburg.
000000118063074-00-720x720.jpg
https://www.guitarcenter.com/Used/BC-Ri ... TDEALw_wcB
Joined AGF May 11, 2015
toomanycats
Reactions:

Bullcat wrote: Fri Jul 01, 2022 5:00 pm @toomanycats if you want to save a few bucks they have one with Seymour Duncans at Guitar Center in Harrisburg.

Thanks! The one at Guitar Center is a bolt-on neck, not a neck-through like the one I saw local. Not that there's anything wrong with a bolt on neck. There's surely a price increase with neck-through vs bolt-on. The Duncans do sweeten the deal. $100 says they're JB/59. :D
Bullcat
Reactions:

toomanycats wrote: Fri Jul 01, 2022 5:10 pm
Bullcat wrote: Fri Jul 01, 2022 5:00 pm @toomanycats if you want to save a few bucks they have one with Seymour Duncans at Guitar Center in Harrisburg.

Thanks! The one at Guitar Center is a bolt-on neck, not a neck-through like the one I saw local. Not that there's anything wrong with a bolt on neck. There's surely a price increase with neck-through vs bolt-on. The Duncans do sweeten the deal. $100 says they're JB/59. :D
Actually the bridge has the rounded hex screws like an Invader.
Attachments
000000118063074-01-720x720.jpg
Joined AGF May 11, 2015
Lamf77
Reactions:

Here is my trifecta, all are NJ Classic Natural and all are set neck. The Bich and Mockingbird are stock. The Eagle had some shit pickups in it. I put in a DiMarzio Super Distortion in the bridge and Super Distortion 2 in the neck. Sounds fantastic...and I suck.
Attachments
mock.jpg
bichcase.jpg
eagleafter.jpg
Rollin Hand
Reactions:

toomanycats wrote: Fri Jul 01, 2022 4:59 pm
redman wrote: Fri Jul 01, 2022 4:45 pm @toomanycats I played with a band called Emma's Basement for about a year back in the early 90's and the other guitarist played through an old 70's Hiwatt stack and it sounded incredible every bit as good or maybe even a little than my JMP 50 sitting on top of a Sunn 4X12 cabinet. The cabinet definitely sounded better than my Sunn, better bass response and better mids.
Yes, those 70s Hiwatt cabinets are legendary for being very musical and woody, and the Fane speakers loaded in them are said to be like Greenbacks in that they break up early, but are more complex, very smooth, with lots of bottom.

Honesty, when I saw that Randall cabinet I was smitten with it looks, but then realized it was a) 300 watts, b) George's signature gear, and c) probably geared towards metal. I was correct about only the first two of those things. George is sneaky. Take, for instance, George's Screaming Demon Duncan pickup, which with a scary name like that gives the impression that it's a metal pickup, though it's really more like a hot PAF. Like wise, the Lynch Box is supposed to be voiced for country, jazz, rock and blues . . . not metal. I was initially thrown off by the Randall cab because I'm always looking for stuff loaded with Greenbacks and V30s.
George has never had a "metal" tone. His tone has always been more of a distorted 70s tone, lots of mids, with a bit more gain than a Plexi.

It's always been Marshalls, though when I saw him, he was using a new Park. His tone was full, glassy, and remarkably clean. He sounded (and played) fantastic -- he sounded like George Lynch. And f$^#in' LOUD.
"I'm not a sore loser. It's just that I prefer to win, and when I don't, I get furious."
- Ron Swanson