NGD: AM93L-AYS-12-02

BatUtilityBelt
Reactions:

Aside from naming models poorly, I love Ibanez! My newest one is no exception to that. I've been waiting for a good lefty AM93 to pop up for a long time. Listings have been slim, so when I saw this a bit underpriced at GC Used, I bought it within minutes. It arrived at my local GC Tuesday, but I never received a notice, so I stopped by today and they had it. It is missing the pick guard, but otherwise perfect. I do like it without the PG anyway, so it might stay that way. What the listing did not mention was that it also had the Ibanez hardshell case to match, so I got a great bonus! It arrived with a bit of fret buzz and action too low. That adjusted out just fine and it plays like butter. I am liking the tone of the Super 58 pickups, and will have to get my amps used to them (kinda low output, but rich and articulate at the same time).
Top.jpg
It is already my 2nd favorite Ibanez (just behind a '74 LP).
ID10t
Reactions:

I really like my AM93, it just fits me so good. Congratulations, you're gonna enjoy it. My action was a bit low when I got mine used and at some point I might replace the tuners because they have some play, but if I do it correctly and tune down then tune up, it stays how it should.
I forget who else has one here that advised me to get a pre. 2014 (?) Super 58's and I took the advice.
golem
Reactions:

I'd love to find a good deal on an Ibanez with Super 58s. Congrats! Unfortunately the AS150 that popped up recently didn't have those or I would've bought it (Samicks with Mickey Mouse ears usually have Super 50s). Ibanez Artist and Artstar semihollow are great options for people looking for more traditional looking and sounding guitars.
BatUtilityBelt
Reactions:

ID10t wrote: Thu Jul 16, 2020 5:59 pm I really like my AM93, it just fits me so good. Congratulations, you're gonna enjoy it. My action was a bit low when I got mine used and at some point I might replace the tuners because they have some play, but if I do it correctly and tune down then tune up, it stays how it should.
I forget who else has one here that advised me to get a pre. 2014 (?) Super 58's and I took the advice.
Every time I tune, I go lower than the note, then back up to it. I can't remember who told me, but I think it makes for better tuning stability because of the nut and bridge.

Why pre-2014? I never heard that. [edit:] I just read that up to 2014 it had super 58 Custom, which were ceramic magnet based, after ward has super 58, alnico magnet based. Whichever mine has, I like them.
ID10t
Reactions:

BatUtilityBelt wrote: Thu Jul 16, 2020 8:29 pm
ID10t wrote: Thu Jul 16, 2020 5:59 pm I really like my AM93, it just fits me so good. Congratulations, you're gonna enjoy it. My action was a bit low when I got mine used and at some point I might replace the tuners because they have some play, but if I do it correctly and tune down then tune up, it stays how it should.
Every time I tune, I go lower than the note, then back up to it. I can't remember who told me, but I think it makes for better tuning stability because of the nut and bridge.

Why pre-2014? I never heard that.
Place of manufacture. China vs Indonesia and I guess the Super 58 were/are manufactured the same so when the manufacturing moved to Indonesia they just don't sound as good.
Really I don't know, but I know when to listen to an AGF brother say this is what you want.
I am not at the point of playing that I get the nuances of tone so heck I don't know, but everyone else probably can.
Mine is a 12-10.
I have an Indonesian AS-73 that doesn't come with Super 58's, I am happy with it and if I ever get that tone ear I might put something a little more in, but I am happy for now.
BatUtilityBelt
Reactions:

ID10t wrote: Thu Jul 16, 2020 8:42 pm
BatUtilityBelt wrote: Thu Jul 16, 2020 8:29 pm

Why pre-2014? I never heard that.
Place of manufacture. China vs Indonesia and I guess the Super 58 were/are manufactured the same so when the manufacturing moved to Indonesia they just don't sound as good.
Really I don't know, but I know when to listen to an AGF brother say this is what you want.
I am not at the point of playing that I get the nuances of tone so heck I don't know, but everyone else probably can.
Mine is a 12-10.
I have an Indonesian AS-73 that doesn't come with Super 58's, I am happy with it and if I ever get that tone ear I might put something a little more in, but I am happy for now.
Serial number decoder says mine is from June, 2015 in China. I've never seen another AM93 in person, but this one checks all boxes for me: plays great, sounds great, and I can't find a single finish flaw. The picture doesn't do it justice - it's perfectly book matched front and back.
tobijohn
Reactions:

Congrats, great guitar and great sounding pickups. If you ever change your mind about the pickguard, let me know and I can send you a tracing....
Delightful mix of insolence, arrogance and narcissism
Republican moderate trapped in a heavy metal chassis
Growing up, only kid in the neighborhood with an Uncle Ahkbar
BatUtilityBelt
Reactions:

tobijohn wrote: Thu Jul 16, 2020 11:03 pm Congrats, great guitar and great sounding pickups. If you ever change your mind about the pickguard, let me know and I can send you a tracing....
Thanks TJ, I'll keep that in mind. Hard to tell from the picture, but they did put the screws in the holes instead of leaving gaping holes. Somehow that makes it much better for my OCD.
mindwave
Reactions:
Gearlist: LOTS

The ibanez awd was always a great guitar, very consistent. And in orlando that's hard to find. Humidity is so bad neck will wsrp 90degrees one way going from the house to the car than 90degrees the opposite going from the car to the gig. Unfortunately after they blew them out everyone else figured out the same thing. They 2x the price used they were new....