New PRS Silver Sky - SE model

aullucci
Reactions:

image.png
I think the street price is $899, but that might be rumor. Curious to see these in the wild. I've loved almost all the PRS SE guitars I've played.
toomanycats
Reactions:

I'll be waiting for one of the local pawn shops to price one of these like it's a Squier SE Strat so I can walk out the door with it for $50.
“There are only two means of refuge from the miseries of life: Music and Cats!” Albert Schweitzer
aullucci
Reactions:

I have a PRS SE acoustic. It is fan-motherf@ing-tastic. It also lists for $899. I got a brand new one for just a hair less than half that number. PRS stuff goes on sale, and Adorama doesn't know how to price anything properly anyway. Next Christmas, I'm betting you'll see these all over the place for $500-$600.

Of course it might be a crap guitar.
aullucci
Reactions:

Does anyone have an actual Silver Sky?
BatUtilityBelt
Reactions:

I'm curious, but not holding my breath for a lefty, and still would love to know what makes it notably better than an American Strat (several of which I've paid less for).
aullucci
Reactions:

BatUtilityBelt wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 1:05 pm I'm curious, but not holding my breath for a lefty, and still would love to know what makes it notably better than an American Strat (several of which I've paid less for).
I doubt they would market this one versus the American strat. I'm sure they're marketing these against the MIM variety. I don't own an MIM strat, but I've played a bunch of good ones. Seems like an uphill battle. But I'm curious. I think the PRS SE 24 is an awesome guitar, and I already said how much I love my acoustic SE Angelus. It wouldnt surprise me at all if this Silver Sky is pretty great too.
Chocol8
Reactions:

aullucci wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 12:02 pm Does anyone have an actual Silver Sky?
No but when I went to buy one, I played it and walked out with a Fender MIA. The SS had better sounding pickups. The neck is chunkier of you like that (negative if you don’t). Other than that, the Fender was better. The most surprising this to me was how damn cheap the plastics feel on a $2400 guitar. The volume and tone knobs, the tuners, even the switch tip, all were oozing cheapness.

Find a decent fender, put in a set of Duncan Antiquity II Surfers, and MAYBE give it a light fret job, and you will have a better playing and sounding guitar for less money invested. It’s a shame, I really wanted to fall in love with the thing and bring it home, but it wasn’t happening.
golem
Reactions:

aullucci wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 12:02 pm Does anyone have an actual Silver Sky?
I have one. I tried one in a store and new I had to own one but that sooner or later I'd found a good price on one. Almost a year later I saw Riff City selling two of them for $1368 as demo models. The one I got was mint condition. Of course, they later went out of business so I suspect they were selling these fast for cash flow related reasons. Honestly, it's the best S style I've owned. Better than my GJ2 Glendora made by Grover Jackson. Better than my Ibanez AZ Prestige (now sold). Better than my Fender Elite. Better than any of the other Fender strats I've owned. Better than the Suhrs and Andersons I've tried and seriously considered.

That doesn't mean you won't find some that dislike it. I like John Mayer's music and his tone pretty much is one of my top 3 ideal reference tones for a strat. So I guess one shouldn't be too surprised that it's a guitar I like the tone of. I don't even notice that it's vintage radius. If you were someone who set your action super low than I guess I could see that being an issue on bends. But for anyone who likes what I'd argue is a fairly average height for most strat players, it should be fine.
andrewsrea
Reactions:
Gearlist: 28 Guitars: (2) basses, (2) acoustics, (3) hollow bodies, (3) Semi hollow, (1) Double-neck, (17) Solid-bodies

I've played @golem 's Silver Sky and was impressed. It had a broken-in feel, a good weight and resonance. The pickups are glassy, but not brittle and they are mid-scooped.
Live life to the fullest! - Rob
aullucci
Reactions:

Nothing beats first hand experience. I’m looking forward to seeing some in the wild…
aullucci
Reactions:

In a neatly coordinated event, every guitar channel on YouTube now has Silver Sky SE demos. They all dumped yesterday. I’m not trying to wade into any deep debate, but I think it sounds good. Shame I don’t much like the finishes.
redman
Reactions:
Gearlist: Gibson LP, Agile PS900, SX Tele, SX Strat, PRS SE Zach Myers Yamaha FGX830c, Yamaha LL16, Yamaha LL26, Eastman E10D, Tobias Bass, Squire CV 60's P Bass

I thought about a SE Silver Sky ever since I started seeing the prelaunch ads for it. Now it seems everybody and their brother on YouTube are doing videos about it with all of the ones I've watched very positive, I thought it was time to check details as to when they would be available this morning, I called AMS to see how long before they landed and was told they have a shipment scheduled to come in on the 19th and one on the 31st. All the Stone Blue (my 1st finish choice) was spoken for, but they still had 7 Rock White (my 2nd choice) available for pre order, so I did. With as much hype as there's been over these guitars, I thought if I don't bond with it would be an easy sale to get my money back.

Here's A Link
https://www.americanmusical.com/prs-se- ... -SEJMSS-3J
Chocol8
Reactions:

I don’t trust YouTube reviewers. They are a great way for a company to buy hype and positive press that doesn’t match reality. For example the Quad Cortex came out to overwhelming positive reviews from the paid shills network even though it turned out to be a half baked piece of crap with hardware issues and many promised software features missing at launch and still missing over a year later. People who gave it glowing reviews should be embarrassed, but they happily cashed their checks instead.

That said, I doubt PRS will ship anything that isn’t decent. The price point is high for an import, and I would definitely want to play one before committing, but if I were to gamble on a brand name, PRS would be it.
aullucci
Reactions:

redman wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 5:09 pm I thought about a SE Silver Sky ever since I started seeing the prelaunch ads for it. Now it seems everybody and their brother on YouTube are doing videos about it with all of the ones I've watched very positive, I thought it was time to check details as to when they would be available this morning, I called AMS to see how long before they landed and was told they have a shipment scheduled to come in on the 19th and one on the 31st. All the Stone Blue (my 1st finish choice) was spoken for, but they still had 7 Rock White (my 2nd choice) available for pre order, so I did. With as much hype as there's been over these guitars, I thought if I don't bond with it would be an easy sale to get my money back.

Here's A Link
https://www.americanmusical.com/prs-se- ... -SEJMSS-3J
Congrats! Looking forward to your thoughts and hoping it arrives sooner than anticipated.
redman
Reactions:
Gearlist: Gibson LP, Agile PS900, SX Tele, SX Strat, PRS SE Zach Myers Yamaha FGX830c, Yamaha LL16, Yamaha LL26, Eastman E10D, Tobias Bass, Squire CV 60's P Bass

aullucci wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 11:30 am Congrats! Looking forward to your thoughts and hoping it arrives sooner than anticipated.

I actually got a call from Rachel at AMS Monday evening and she told me they received their shipment Monday that they got it packed up and shipped and FedEx says it will be here tomorrow can't wait to play it. If I don't bond with it I can play it for a while before I send it back but I]m hoping I love it.
Chocol8
Reactions:

Good luck!